View Single Post
  #36   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 01-25-2019, 06:39 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Finished

The new stainless hot pipe is installed and working. The project was not without drama however. Removal of the old pipe uncovered coolant inside the dry exhaust path of the manifold so that initiated a week of pressure testing, manifold and block/head separately and careful inspection. A few emails to selected forum members with symptoms and test results walked me back from the cliff. With rock solid pressure tests we concluded the errant coolant must have come in through the aft manifold mounting stud during disassembly. There was some evidence supporting the conclusion too.

The first picture is the old pipe with old school asbestos heat wrap.

edit: Another slight modification I made was removing the mounting screws from the bottom flange of the Centek waterlift allowing it to move with engine vibration. The attached hoses on a Catalina 30 are supported close enough to their attachment on the waterlift that they keep it in place fine without formal mounting. The pictures don't show it but there is actually space between the waterlift base and the mounting pad on the hull.
Attached Images

prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 01-27-2019 at 10:40 AM.