View Single Post
  #23   IP: 70.52.230.111
Old 11-26-2018, 07:03 PM

Hello all and thank you for your continued interest.

Dutton that is the exact model I have installed and yes it is ignition protected.

I did have to modify the metal bracket with a grinder. Doing that I was able to use the standard arm and belt along with the tensioner I purchased last year.

I have been reading the replies in response to what was the actual problem. I posted that I would not name the brand of charger other than it is a “duo” charger. Google it and you will see what I am talking about. Once this charger was removed from the system my problems went away.

Now I don’t disagree with the poltergeist philosophy nor with the idea that something else may be wrong. I have spoken with a bunch of electrically inclined people and they believe my problem lies within the grounding system. The charger may have helped exacerbate the problem but was not likely the root cause. One question that I do have is what is the lowest voltage that will power the coil and provide spark or allow the faucet fuel pump to click away. I’m thinking that is just shy of 8 volts. Please correct me if I am wrong. A momentary voltage drop to whatever voltage that may be is most certainly the issue based on my initial analysis. That moment is about 5 seconds or so. I don’t know if the charger cycling through a float or a bulk charge is doing it, but it is happening with that charger installed.

Now I have been advised to not only inspect my grounds I have also been able asked to do load checks on the battery system. That includes not just the battery alone but individual leads both positive and negative. Being very aware of the fuse holder connections. The point being is a multimeter may show a near zero resistance indicating an intact power lead but a multimeter is a poor indicator of a quality connection. This is because once a power lead is loaded with start or charge amperage things change. I may yet have a faulty connection through a fuse holder or chaffing or who knows what.... I will be back on the boat in a few months to charge and inspect my gear and hopefully find a few more answers.

And yes I have purchased the xantrex echo charger to replace the original. I was told that the switching option initially suggested can become an issue and can fry your alternator even when being very careful.

Every day I learn something new. Hopefully your continued support will allow me to identify the root issue.

Please remember when I originally posted my point was not to toot my own horn it was merely to provide others in my situation additional ideas on how to refocus their energy and time. When I was dealing with my engine shut downs I focused 95% of my energy on the engine and it wasn’t until the end of the summer that I refocused on the electrical system. It was a frustrating season. I did learn a lot however a lot of sailing time was lost because my troubleshooting didn’t become effective until very late. I am still learning and accept that my troubleshooting may indeed not be over.

I thank all of you that continue to look through my posts and provide food for thought.

Have a great day
The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan Janeway For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-09-2020)