View Single Post
  #12   IP: 96.54.83.22
Old 03-11-2011, 11:26 PM

A little help from a friend...

I removed my A4 this past season, rebuilt most of it and returned it to new engine mounts all without incident, but I did not use the boom. That engine is heavy and ackward. I lifted the engine off the mounts by putting a steel beam across the companionway and using a small engine hoist rig. Once clear of the engine mounts and most of the way up to the companionway, I connected the engine to a Hiab truck that was able to reach out across the marina (roughtly 25 to 35 feet) and lift the engine out the rest of the way. With the use of the hoist I was able to control the movement of the engine through the companionway and not do any damage. The Hiab opereator was not able to see the engine until almost through the companionway. It was at this upper position that we hooked up the Hiab and used it to remove the engine totally from the boat. Entire operation took less than 20 minutes. I was very relieved to see the engine clear the boat and then make it's way across the marina in the air onto dry land. I imagine those things would make quite the splash. I looked as using the boom, but deicided against it. Too much at risk. Good luck.