View Single Post
  #30   IP: 198.11.8.218
Old 07-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

More than I used to...

First - THANKS to all in this community that make it so easy to learn everything A4!

Just finished a 2 year refit prompted by fuel issues - I had everything that can go bad in a fuel system. Tank full of gunk from 40 years....carb full of gunk after 40 years....

Suffice to say, I was thrilled that my engine started beautifully last night, after taking a sawsall to the cockpit to pull the tank in 2011. Thanks again to the Forum, and Moyer Marine for providing such a valuable resource. Rebuilt carb, new electric fuel pump, big idle adjustment screw, oil pressure safety switch, oil drain kit, absolutely MAGIC extended bolt for the lower rear water pump....

So, how often? I'm thinking yearly and in the Fall, with the caveat that my entire fuel line will be dry from the tank outlet onward, and new big and in-line filters in the spring. I have continual problems with the newer fuel formulations in any small engine (except my weedwacker which seems impervious.) Outboard motor, chainsaw, generator, A4 all suffer from infrequent (not daily/weekly) usage and the gumming, varnishing, sticking that ensues. The only thing I haven't decided is whether or not to drain the tank and air it out, or fill the tank and keep the moisture trap on the vent. I'm leaning toward the former - in New England, our season is so short.