View Single Post
  #12   IP: 138.88.79.169
Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Afourian MVP

Arrow update time

Hey fellow Atomic enthusiasts!

I have an update on my new-to-me Catalina 30.

I ran the engine last week (to charge the batteries a bit since the boat has no 110v charging source) and things chugged along fine for 20-30 minutes. This week I came down to the boat to install the Indigo PCV system. During this process, I did a few tests to get some baselines before I actually do anything to the boat:

Compression readings on a cold engine (not run in 10 days):I tested each cylinder twice and had my wife with me so I didn't have to short the starter (and so she could hand me tools) , and also so she can get an idea of what we are up against...gas motors in boats are a new concept to her, so I want to show her and have us both learn as we go along.
Result - 90-92 psi in all 4 cylinders!
This is better than I expected to find. However, if you recall, when the motor was in gear (still tied in the slip) it seemed to miss/chug under load. Another observation. I suspect the plug wires are probably original - I will be visiting Don's store here soon I guess. The #1 wire does not seem to fit on the plug real well, and is stiff/brittle.
Have no idea of the hours on the plugs, so I'll replace them too. They are sooty, but do not appear fouled, but they are cheap.

Exhaust elbow area:
Exhaust area clean...removed the 'down pipe' before the muffler and there was zero blockage in the hard fitting where the water is added to the exhaust. However, the lift?? outlet?? side of the muffler is almost corroded thru..there are rusted wires everywhere..anyone have an idea how much hose I need? This boat has the anti-siphon valve in the sail locker, up pretty high (port side, near the top) I do not know the condition of the rest of the hose..only the first couple of feet I can see in the engine compartment.

PCV system - 98% installed. The teflon tape used to seal the new fittings in the pump to carb fuel supply fell out of the toolbox enroute to the car, so it hung out in the garage while I was at the boat. Need to go back tomorrow after work and finish that up. It was getting dark anyway, and I want some sunshine to properly check everything in good light to make sure there are no leaks. Once this is installed, I plan to run the motor a bit and get her warmed up for another compression check.

This boat does not appear to have a fuel filter installed, as per one of Don's PDFs floating around here. Although I have not inspected every inch of the fuel hose, there is no filter mounted in the locker with the fuel tank. The line appears to go straight down the middle of the bilge from the tank to the mech fuel pump.

Added some distilled water, checked the electrolyte (1100) and put the dead battery on the charger in the garage, we'll see if she holds anything.

More soon. Advice always welcome

Last edited by sastanley; 09-23-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: adding some stuff and fixing errors