View Single Post
  #3   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 09-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanks..I am hoping so. The very first thing I think I want to do is the PCV system. Does Moyer Marine sell the kit without the fan$y flame arrestor? It looks like except for the carb spacer, most of the parts are easy to obtain, although I am all for spending money on a kit someone else has already done all the R&D and hard work on.

The reason I've decided this is the first fix, is the whole bilge and every locker connected to the bilge is greasy/oily/dirty. My wife said her truck smelled like gas & oil last night on the ride home with the company of the 17 or so cushions which have probably never been off the boat. The discussions here about the lack of PCV and the smell of everything once it is off the boat made the light bulb go off on the likely cause....30 years of fumes from the crankcase!

Checking the exhaust situation is also on my short list. I have experienced this problem on some diesel powered sailboats..a buddy yanked and rebuilt the head on his M-15 because he thought the valves were no good, but it turned out to be a corroded/clogged exhaust elbow!

One other obvious issue I've noticed is the aft block drain (long tube, stbd side) has broken off at some point and was repaired with marine tex or a similar epoxy. My father said its been that way for 20 years, and as long as you are careful with it, it seems to hold. His idea of winterizing is draining the block and letting the leftover sea water and air corrode the thing from the inside out, so I do plan a proper winterizing on the motor this fall, but while it is still warm, I'd like to work on it some and try to get out for a weekend cruise or two for 'testing'.

Off to pick up some more MMO at Wally World (Wal-mart) today as Sunday is boat cleaning day. Should I let it soak for a while or fire it up with the oil in cylinders?

>edit<
Well, I just had a long conversation with my Dad and received some more motor history:
The motor has been drowned twice, once by standing water in the boat that got high enough to leak into the engine thru the dipstick hole. The second time by extended cranking and backing up from the exhaust. Guess that accounts for the issues with cylinders 3 & 4.

-Shawn

Last edited by sastanley; 09-12-2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: sphelling errors and adding some stuff :)