• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Maintenance is important

This guy likes the sound of his own voice so the post is quite long but once into it I had to read all the way to the end, think y'all will too.
    I am now on day four of my cool down after last Saturday nights adventure. I say cool down because if I'd written about this any earlier I would have ousted the owner, by name & boat name, and torn him an even bigger a-hole than he already has.. The sun had just recently dipped below the...

I check my auto bilge pump function regularly so no worries there but my cockpit mounted Whale Gusher 10 manual pump hasn't been touched since I bought the boat 12 years ago and who knows how long before that. The post has motivated me to perform a complete rebuild on principle, the necessary kit will be ordered this weekend.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others
  • Antibes
    • Jun 2011

Thanks for passing that on. New item for the top of the list.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Antibes View Post
      Thanks for passing that on. New item for the top of the list.
      My sentiment exactly.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• goodoldboat
        • May 2017

maintenance

good post thanks ..

i just purchased this boat and I dont know where the handle is

i just called the PO ..
        S/V Gosling
        Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
        ― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• sdemore
          • Nov 2016

I got lucky. When I picked my "new" boat up in November, there was about 2 feet of water in it. I found 2 pump handles and between me and a portable 12v pump and a garden hose, got it dry in about an hour. At least I know the pump works.
          Steve Demore
          S/V Doin' It Right
          Pasadena, MD
          sigpic

Comment

• chapster5
            • Aug 2014

Rebuilt my Whale Gusher last year. I never had to use it but one of our club members had an issue with a leaking stuffing box and while he was busy dealing with that ( I mean hooking up his electric bilge pump ) his poor wife was busy pumping the handle on his manual pump.

That's what triggered me to make sure mine was functional, it wasn't but it was once I put the rebuild kit in.

Chapster5
            Last edited by chapster5; 07-02-2017, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Nov 2008

Have a look see at the other end of the pump also - the hose in the bilge.
              The first time I used my whale gusher I was pumping the damm thing like mad but it wasn't working! Why? When I looked into the bilge I instantly say why. The intake hose was floating on top of the water. It is now fixed firmly to the floor of the bilge.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
              X