View Single Post
  #18   IP: 68.60.179.71
Old 03-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Afourian MVP

Lemon Shark,

Here is my experience with the C-27 gas tank.

I found my tank to be in perfect shape. It was also easy to clean but very hard to remove. On my 1977 C-27 the tank is under the starboard quarter berth and you must remove the engine or cut up the fiberglass liner to remove it--so I didn't.

I have cleaned my tank. The problem I had was water and it got into the tank due to a bad o-ring on the fuel fill. FYI: I would recommend buying a dozen o-rings and replacing one every time you feel a disturbance in the force.

The fuel pickup tube and the gas gauge on my tank were both on large-ish plates screwed to the top of the tank. Removing fuel pickup tube I was able to pump out all of the fuel and then reach in with a rag to wipe down the tank. I took out the gas gauge for a hole to see what I was doing with my arm in the tank. Be ready to replace the gaskets on the fuel pickup and gas gauge. I used rubber gasket material and cut new ones with an exacto knife.

I wiped the tank down, but there really wasn't anything built up on it. It is possible that the times I have used e10 from the local gas station dissolved anything that was there, but the couple of fuel problems I have had have all been water or downstream of the tank.

Good luck,

Mike