Thread: Bilge Safety
View Single Post
  #49   IP: 71.181.37.53
Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigspelt View Post
I installed a gas sniffer on a previous boat. It alarmed one day when we were all relaxing on lawn chairs at the dock. Got everybody jumping. Inspected carefully and could not find any sign of fuel leak or fume source. We never did find out why it went off, and it was OK after. Even tested it with a thimble of gasoline. I appreciated having it down there in the engine space. Two boat bucks ($200) and slight continuous drain on the battery.

Mark, I doubt there is a definitive answer about continuous blower versus what so many do in small sailboats: careful sniff and open hatches, then blower on before start, then blower off, and maybe ventilate the engine space with hatches up while running, especially on longer runs if heat builds up in the engine space, being mindful of carbon monoxide in living accomodations. I like Hanley's idea of adding passive ventilation in the high spots of the engine space to reduce heat in there if possible, but that isn't so easy for many of us.

The keys, as Keelcooler pointed out, are careful ongoing preventive maintenance and inspection of the fuel distribution system, spark-minimizing in engine space appliances, consistent sniff-ventilate practice when starting, and extreme caution after refueling.
I had one of the xanrex gasoline alarms go off a couple of years ago
when it was knocked loose from its overhead mount under the cockpit sole]
and into bilge water. I was told that it needed to re replaced. The replacement cost for the sensor was in excess of $100
Regards
Art