Thread: Bilge Safety
View Single Post
  #36   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up blower hose extension

keelcooler - thanks for bringing this thread back up.

After this discussion last year, and subsequent thoughts on my own, I have extended my bilge blower hose all the way to the bilge, in front of the motor, just above where it might get wet from sloshing bilge water. The old hoses terminated under the stairs at the termination of the quarterberth bulkhead, and were laying 'in the bilge area', but technically were no where near the low part of the bilge where fuel vapors would likely hang out.

The blower itself has to work a little bit harder now, but I can feel the blower sucking out thru the extended hose at the bilge since the end is now accessible and not under some cabinetry 5 feet away...this is also a good test when I stick my nose down there for a sniff test that it is actually sucking air...the discharge hose at the cowl vent likes to fill up with rain water and even though the blower is running, no air is actually being evacuated...so I have to empty that once a season or so. Now I know the blower is actually working since I have access to both ends.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif