• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whippet
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2012

fast

sorry late to party.

Since EI, proper timing, and new carb - it always fires fast. A few seconds even if cold. In old days with none of above - I would have used an hour glass to measure time to start

be well
    Steve
    Etobicoke YC, C&C27
    A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• capnward
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2012

A4s rock!

After a few days not running, engine turned off with gas in carb, with a cold engine, (but not very cold in the summer), choke out, throttle at half, fuel pressurized by mechanical pump bail, 2 seconds. Without priming with bail, 2 or maybe three five-second cranks, five seconds apart. If engine had been running the day before, usually one 4 second crank with choke on but no priming. I push the choke back in after a few seconds. Takes about 15 minutes to get up to 160 degrees. Indigo thermostat, FWC, EI. If engine is warmed up, no choke, starts in 1 second. She's been doing this all summer, running most days, 150 hours since May. After a winter layoff, who knows? Could be three seconds, or three weeks. I didn't run it dry at the end of last season, and had a bad (leaking, with rust around the top rim) coil. After cleaning carb and jets, replacing filters, fuel hose, coil, cap, rotor, plugs, oiling breaker plates, setting initial timing, and priming the fuel line, she still wouldn't start until we put a little gas in the air intake. Then she showed signs of life, and started after further turning of the distributor. Once timing was set under load at speed, she was good all season. Thanks to the old engineers at Universal, the folks at Moyer Marine, and this forum, I made some money and had a lot of fun with my trusty Atomic Four. They really are great engines, if you learn how to handle them. Plus they are quiet, can run at low speeds, and never smell like diesel, which is good for the passengers. Others may call them obsolete, and compared to the mileage diesels obtain, they are. But as long as devoted owners continue to use them and work on them, they will remain gems. Besides, I am obsolete, too.

Comment

• Joe Miller
        • Jun 2018

After 4 years working on the boat and not starting engine, I did a tune up and engine started on 2nd or 3rd try of about 10 seconds each. A few issues now but working through them.

Joe

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Neil, old motor and poor compression. EI, manual FP, PCV and stock plugs @.040".

Warm start after running within 4~5 hours choke on 2~3 seconds and she purred. Release choke immediately.

Cold start after running within a few days choke 5~6 seconds and she purred. Ease the choke a bit immediately and completely after a 5~10 seconds down to around 50 degrees.

Cold start after being in the slip a while even a couple of months and I would run the gas out of the carb after docking. First open the engine box to get to my remote start switch and open the fuel valve. Then crank for around 10~15 seconds with the choke on and ignition OFF until I had both oil and fuel pressure. Then I would turn on the ignition and she would start in a few seconds. Then ease the choke a bit and after 20~30 seconds release it completely.

My idle was set for 700 and I would apply enough throttle to yield about 1500 any time starting cold and a bit less warm.

Dave Nep0tune

Comment

• Administrator
            MMI Webmaster
            • Oct 2004

Sniff, sniff....

Something's up?

Is there, uh, anything you might want to share with us?

Bill

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
              Is there, uh, anything you might want to share with us?
              Not yet but things are looking promising.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Sam
                Afourian MVP
                • Apr 2010

It seems to me that I remember reading a past thread from our west coast engineering guru [which I always find educational] that due the "updraft" A4 carb design that a cold start with adequate choke could take 2 or 3 momentary start attempts. If it does start right up the main jet is set a little too rich.

It is cold here Chicago, around 45 F and my 1966 early model A4 initialy starts right up with choke [impresses folks all the time] This last spring among other things I cleaned the tank and the zenith carb and it runs well. Checked the plugs today, end of the season, and they look somewhat dark, running well but a little rich. On target again.

Comment

• GregH
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  It seems to me that I remember reading a past thread from our west coast engineering guru [which I always find educational] that due the "updraft" A4 carb design that a cold start with adequate choke could take 2 or 3 momentary start attempts. If it does start right up the main jet is set a little too rich.

It is cold here Chicago, around 45 F and my 1966 early model A4 initialy starts right up with choke [impresses folks all the time] This last spring among other things I cleaned the tank and the zenith carb and it runs well. Checked the plugs today, end of the season, and they look somewhat dark, running well but a little rich. On target again.
                  Sounds just like me. Cold start real easy and fast and dark plugs.

it's on my list this weekend.
                  Greg
                  1975 Alberg 30
                  sigpic

Comment

• zellerj
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2005

when summer cold - just a couple of seconds with full choke, then no choke upon starting.
                    when spring/fall cold - takes two attempts, so 5 to 10 seconds and leave choke full for a little longer
                    Jim Zeller
                    1982 Catalina 30
                    Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Based on the responses it seems most if not all have their engine started in under 60 seconds regardless of temperature or layoff time. Sound about right?
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                        • Sep 2014

As EdwardC pointed out to me, mine starts quickly even after a lengthy hiatus indicating perhaps too rich a mixture. Anyhow, copying and pasting from below:

Cold start...
                        Starts right up. 1-2 seconds (Full Choke)

Warm...
                        Starts right up. 1-2 seconds. (No Choke)
                        John Novotny
                        1973 Tartan 30 #186
                        Baltimore, MD

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                          Based on the responses it seems most if not all have their engine started in under 60 seconds regardless of temperature or layoff time. Sound about right?
                          Yes.
                          Assuming the choke and the rest of the engine is "set up" correctly and is mechanically sound.
                          To take it one step further if the engine does not start normally* there is something wrong and grinding on the starter usually will not result in the engine starting. Time start diagnostics.
                          *Get to know your engine! All who have posted have done just that.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Nahart
                            • Oct 2010

I'd like to ask the same question, but using a Hand Crank.
                            Marker Dave

"Solitaire"
                            '75 Catalina 30 #65

Comment

• msmith10
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Jun 2006

If my engine took more than 10 seconds even after a couple of weeks off, I'd be looking for a problem. Usually 5 seconds or less.
                              Mark Smith
                              1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                              X