View Single Post
  #5   IP: 70.174.149.122
Old 08-09-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Do we know - - not guess or believe but KNOW if this is fuel or spark related? Have there been any basic tests performed?

Spark:
Thatch keeps an old spark plug laying on the head at the alternator/lifting eye bracket. Pulling a plug wire off of a spark plug and plugging it onto the spare is an easy test for spark and all the parts are at your fingertips. Laying on the head is sufficient ground for the test.

Fuel:
Is there fuel inside the carburetor? Remove the main passage plug with a catchment underneath and see if fuel comes out.

These are the most basic and simple tests, not intended for an AHA! moment but to point the troubleshooting in the right direction.
Neil:

Pulled two plugs to check spark, weak but a spark. Also tried the coil wire, a bit better but still not what I would expect. Fuel pump is pumping fuel, disconnected fuel line into carb and caught fuel being pumped out of fuel pump. The card has maybe 3 hours on it since I completely cleaned it, and it is brand new anyway. I would expect if it was fuel related some missing, sputtering, etc right before it died, not a clean now it is on, now it is off deal like I had. Something so abrupt is, in my experience, usually ignition related.
Sadly ignition is kind of my weak spot as a mechanic.