View Single Post
  #4   IP: 76.16.39.76
Old 02-25-2019, 02:47 PM
Afourian MVP

I have just have a few minutes so I will have to be brief. I have had my early model 1966 A4 for the last 43 years here in Chicago and never needed rebuilding with original zenith carb and Prestolite distributor [condenser on outside] Couple of seasons ago I had some similar surging/dying problems. Following some forum advise I did the following: pumped out and cleaned tank best I could while still installed [ last inch was not good fuel], changed fuel lines to low permutation [due to ethanol], new fuel filter [old one was looked like it was collecting black gunk faster than I liked], replaced twenty year old electric fuel pump with new facet cube pump, cleaned carb, installed fuel pressure gauge before carb [cheap & informative] and refueled with non -marina gas. Engine ran well and later changed points, plugs, condenser, cap/rotor. Couple of decades ago I lost my old tank pick up tube in the tank and installed a new one 1 1/2 in above the bottom. I would have to say the main culprit was the tank/accumulated old water laced fuel sloshing around and everything else downstream added to problem. Many forum gurus will tell you to add a fuel pressure gauge for better diagnostics.