View Single Post
  #42   IP: 64.183.169.46
Old 05-17-2018, 12:58 PM

ISSUE FOUND!

Alright. Last night I went down to the boat to diagnose the overheating issue.

@CajunSpike 's Suggestion I ran the engine and started checking the hose for a pinch or any kind of wear. I couldn't find any wear or damage but I did notice something interesting. The pressure on the hoses is very strong until I get to my exhaust manifold outlet.

With that info, I decided to place a bucket under my exhaust to see how much water I was pushing out. After 30 seconds of idling, I was able to collect 1.25in of water in a home depot 5 gal bucket. I figured at a higher RPM I would get 1.75xs the amount of water. After 30 seconds of collecting water at a higher RPM, I was only able to collect 1.25in of water in the bucket.

There was my issue. Either with my exhaust manifold or the hose.

Decided to take both the inlet and outlet off the exhaust manifold and boom there is my issue. Both inlet and outlet were caked with goopy, junk. I guess the acid bath cleaned it up but didn't do the heavy lifting.
Name:  IMG_2291 copy.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  278.8 KB
Here is an image of the exhaust manifold outlet.

After cleaning both the inlet and the outlet, I did my best to break up/ clean anything left in the manifold. Did a quick rinse with my slip hose (city water pressure) then put her back together.

When I ran her the amount of water being spit out was night and day compared to how it was after the acid bath. @CajunSpike I believe you first suggested this and you were right!

Here is a video of the exhaust after the manifold being cleaned (sorry about the quality, I shot it at 925pm :P )
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M5...KKyipnBH7CWvJZ

And here is before
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16z...FobY9AMhiviH3f

The girlfriend and I are planning on taking her out this evening to see how she does in moving water but I am feeling pretty confident that was the source of my issue.

Through this experience, I have learned a TREMENDOUS amount of knowledge about my A4 (and engines in general). Thank you, everyone, for the support!!! I really appreciate it. I owe you all a nice cold beer.

Fingers crossed this evening will go beautifully this evening
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chrisoelder For This Useful Post:
Administrator (05-17-2018), CajunSpike (05-17-2018), edwardc (05-18-2018), tenders (05-18-2018), Tim (05-17-2018)