Thread: Welder
View Single Post
  #11   IP: 24.121.255.187
Old 01-13-2018, 10:12 PM

I vote GMAW, You say 1/8" now but once you get going...well. Go with a gas tank, you will save a lot of money plus you can change mixtures for different metals. If you want to change from flux to gas you have to change the liner. Make sure the machine will handle the 11# rolls. If you have an electric dryer you have 240 volts with an adapter and extension cord. Auto darkening shield the best thing since humm... the blue pill for a welding friend of mine. If you wear reading glasses wear um. My welding had gone down hill the past few years then I realized I couldn't see. Community College is great because you come out with a tool box or something else you built. Keep it cool or you will be at Warp factor 8 in no time.

My projects this year: mast tabernacle, prototype in mild steel then see if I can still weld stainless. Big project, 10,000# GVWR trailer for the S2 I can save $5K over the best estimate I've had. Just wished I hadn't sold the crane. Oh well there are timbers and come a-longs. Have fun, one of the best purchases of all my tools.