View Single Post
  #91   IP: 107.0.6.150
Old 02-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing View Post
After my partial rebuild early spring 2015 & having done at least 6 serious lil system flushes, I adjusted the oil pressure bypass in because i was seeinf pressure holding at about 25 - 30 lbs. After the adjustment I saw 35-40 lbs. Then I drained my last clean oil , something cheap and common, 10-30 and filled her up with 15-40 Rotella. Did a few more odds and ends which allowed the engine to cool down and give her a start.
The start up pressure shocked me at 70lbs right off the bat. Then quickly drolped to 60. I thought I waz going tl need to adjust the.pressure down. However, after warming up the pressure dropped back to hold.between 30-40 under normal opperation .
Obviously 60-70 is way too much but Im now wondering if opperation 30 & 40 is ok.
Bill - That 15-40w Rotella is rugged stuff and may not be ideal for many members. Choice of oil has a lot to do with engine condition and how you use the boat/engine. I use the Rotella because my engine is worn and loosey-goosey and I run my engine all day at cruise often as many as 12 hours at a stretch. I need the Rotella to maintain 40 psi without having to crank in the relief valve. Weather is also a factor. If I have the engine running in winter I go to 30w or in the case of last winter as low as 5-30w. Next year I will have a different engine and will probably run straight 30w if the tolerances are anywhere near spec. Right now I'm running .016" crankshaft end play and rod side play .008", both way over spec - and the bearings are right at max spec except for the cam bearings. If my engine were human the diagnosis would be internal bleeding. Rotella keeps me stuffed and quiet.
The Following User Says Thank You to hanleyclifford For This Useful Post:
Administrator (02-17-2016)