Thread: Water in Engine
View Single Post
  #9   IP: 75.68.166.15
Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

A LOT of Water in the engine

I changed several items over the winter: rebuilt the carburator, exchanged a gate valve ( Raw water in) for ball valve, then had the impeller exchanged by my shipyard before launch, they couldn't get the engine to start, so I got a brand new Carburator.
The 4th had no wind, so we motored 2 x 50 minutes or so, the A4 purrs along like a kitten, boat is clean when we leave it on the 5th. Today (7th) I check my bilge and its filled with water/oil ! I can't figure out where the stuff is coming from, but just in case pump the oil and get 2 gallons (!) = 4 quarts of water (almost drinking quality) out of the engine, then a bit more oil/water sludge. i poured in the two quarts of oil I had on board and pumped those through.
Has anybody any idea what is going on? Engine started fine and ran perfectly ( after the shipyard had problems and fixed - i hope- them). Is there a way to install the impeller that wrongly? Is my new valve sucking in more water than the old (even so..)? This engine has motored for days in prior seasons without a squeek, and nothing has changed ( as I can tell) in the exhaust system, still don't have a flap over the end pipe in the transom....
As the second step ( after cleanup) I will just buy more oil and pump it through the engine in order to get the water out and then I'll start her with the water intake closed. Please let me know if you agree with me or have some other good tips on hand.
Thanks!
Manfred
Catalina 30/ A4