View Single Post
  #32   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Hi Guys,
I was told the NGK XR4 plugs were the cross match for the Champion hot running plugs. Don I got those from Nova Automotive in Dartmouth NS when AC Delco plugs (3 weeks old) were just terrible. That would be worth checking on though. The engine is not burning oil so that helps.

That said, Shawn described my plugs - slight sooty plugs prior to me adjusting mixture. I did spend considerable time tweaking the mixture screw on the carb. I have it set up now where the engine starts immediately with choke and slowly ease it back in...about 30 seconds after start the choke cable is all the way back in. (if the engine is warm no choke...that doesn't change) I used my nose (smell) to adjust the richness (believe it or not). I eased the screw out until I didn't have the pronounced exhaust smell...when I got there then had to make sure I had power and started fine cold...a couple of days trial and error and I think it is pretty close to where it should be. Seems to work OK. Just tinkered with it and noticed fuel consumption better also...I was running way too rich last year.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.