View Single Post
  #11   IP: 144.230.63.57
Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 PM

Lost in Kansas- Leaking carburetor

Last week I finished updating the fuel system. I ran the engine for 15 minutes and all was well. One minor leak at the shut off valve but all seemed good.
Saturday the skipper showed with some of her friends and wanted to go sailing. The engine started and ran 2 minutes with good indications and then died. Winds right so we just sailed in and out of the slip. Not long after we started the skipper said the was a very strong smell of gas. A quick check showed that we were leaking from the carburator. I too have an E29 and this is the one side of the engine you just can't get to or see. It leaked more when we heeled to port. We cut a beer can in half to capture gas and stayed on a starboard tack. Once back in the slip it kept up a slow drip. Fuel shut off was closed. I did not have a computer so I could not access the site. Not wanting to create a floating Malatov Cocktail I brought out my trusty manual and figured I need to take the carb off. Not knowing specifically, and it isn't labeled, I don't know if I did that 100% correctly. I was not sure what the throttle valve and and lever were. Or the choke lever valve. What I did was disconnect the fuel line, disconnected the throttle cable, choke cable and scavenger tube(?) I think that is what that tube is. I then undid the two bolts on the top and it came out. The whole carb and I now know the flame arrestor.
And there is no more fuel leaking in the boat.
The question is what do I do now?
I gather from the threads I can either clean it up or buy the kit.
I've never worked on a carb before so I am now at my absolute limit.
Here is a picture of the carb and flame arrestor.
Attached Images