View Single Post
  #44   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smosh View Post
Tested from positive on coil to engine ground: zero. . . . .Connected a constant power directly to the coil positive (alligator clip lead from the power at starter the coil), the fuel pump operates and the motor fires up and runs! Runs well!
In agreement with Tenders previous post, this is clear indication of an ignition circuit wiring problem. All the parts in place (points, condenser, rotor, distributor cap, coil) are functioning properly so replacing them will not address the no start/run problem.

Quote:
fuel pump does not pull power from the coil positive terminal (where Moyer instructions say to connect)
Yes it does. It's just that you have no power to coil +.

Quote:
Tested voltage across coil: zero. . . . . While it was running, tested voltage across ignition coil + to - : fluctuating 1 to 2 volts or so.
This test, between the two small coil posts, provides zero useful information and only tends to confuse the troubleshooting. The (-) post on the coil is not a ground. I'd much rather the convention was to identify it as a "D" terminal (for Distributor) but it's unfortunately not.

Chase down the ignition wire from the keyswitch to the coil, every inch of it by testing for voltage to a solid ground with the key on (coil disconnected for testing please). The first test is on the "I" terminal of the keyswitch.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 07-09-2018 at 08:59 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Administrator (07-09-2018), tenders (07-09-2018)