X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Here is the extractor I have, works great. It comes with a variety of suction tubes in different diameters.

Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

NY, I too recommend using the diesel fuel for a "thinner". In he old days we would often clean the engines before doing the then repetitive valve jobs. These engines that people ran non-detergent oil would sludge up something terrible. We drained the oil added a fresh filter, diesel fuel and started it. We would let it idle for an hour or so. Almost all of the sludge would be gone (emulsified into the oil). The diesel fuel is just a thin oil with a very hi lubricity rate to lube the injector pumps. Never had a problem.

When doing this add what you can and if there is water in the oil add about 2~3 ounces of dish soap as the soap will draw the water into the oil and make the flushing process easier.

Get what goo you can out then add the diesel fuel for the first flush and cleaning~it does work. I've done dozens of engines being restored in this manner. Just be sure to run in neutral with no load IE in neutral.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

I used to have a magnetic block heater that just stuck to the oil pan or whatever was ferrous. It was helpful in NY winters. That might help to thin the sludge a bit.....

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I would stick with diesel or MMO as a cleanser and in either case a couple cans of SeaFoam will help. Both of them have some lubricating qualities as well as solvent/cleanser ability.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• nyvoyager
            • Jun 2012

I like the block heater idea but doubt there is enough room under the pan.
            Besides it is literally 800 feet to any power. Water is shut down for the winter and unless I can get water I'm afraid this is going to have to wait. Definitely not ideal

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Pour a gallon of MMO in the crankcase - or at least as much as you can without overflowing the front seal, and more down each spark plug hole. Leave until spring if you can't think of anything else or try and pump it out a week or two later.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• edwardc
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2009

I used to have good luck on other engines using Varsol to thin the oil/water "milkshake".

I use the Pella 6000 suction oil extractor:

You can remove the small dipstick tube and use the larger diameter hose. I found that it just fits inside of the hose that connects my aftermarket oil filter to the large plug on the crankcase.
                Last edited by edwardc; 01-06-2019, 10:34 PM.
                @(^.^)@ Ed
                1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X