View Single Post
  #55   IP: 67.176.27.175
Old 11-03-2018, 12:37 AM
Aforian MVP

At this point in the process, I started to piece the motor back together. To recap, up to this point I had done the following:
  1. Unnfrozen the rotating assembly by copious amounts of MMO deposited down the spark plug holes combined with brute force/sledge hammer on the flywheel
  2. Rebuilt the carb
  3. Drained the fuel tank of old gas and water
  4. Refilled the tank with fresh gas (ethanol-free 100 octane low lead aka "avgas" for piston-powered aircraft)
  5. Installed a new electric fuel pump
  6. Replaced and rerouted all the fuel lines
  7. Removed, cleaned and re-lapped the valves
  8. Installed new valve springs
  9. Installed new batteries
  10. Installed Pertronix Electronic Ignition in distributor
  11. Took the cylinder head to machine shop to get "Decked" and repaired 3 out of 4 stripped spark plug bosses
  12. Vinegar soaked and painted manifold
  13. Reassembled everything
  14. Drank enough beer to cause an increase in hops commodity prices in the western United States
  15. Philosophized if the internal combustion engine was really just an elaborate Rube Goldberg riddle established by a diabolical secret society with informal ties to the Free Masons in order to promote human suffering.

"At this point, what else could possibly go wrong?" Cough, cough, cough.

With everything pieced together, I hooked up a 6' piece of 1-1/4" black iron pipe as a makeshift exhaust since I hadn't finished replacing the wet exhaust hose from the water lift muffler to the transom yet. I hooked up a remote starter, gave it some gas, and...

[YOUTUBE]EUIbijLfZ8E[/YOUTUBE]

You'd think after all that effort and a successful start you'd hear me shouting with joy in the background over the noise of the Atomic dutifully putt-putting away, but you don't. It's difficult to see in the video, but when I cranked and throttled up the engine, I lost my balance and fell over when the boat all the sudden jolted forward. That's when I noticed that despite the fact the shifting lever on the engine (as well as the cockpit lever) were in neutral, the prop shaft was turning and pushing the boat forward in the slip until it pulled tight against the dock lines. Riddle me this Batman: What would cause the prop shaft to turn despite the reversing gear lever in the neutral position!? I'll give you a hint....

Name:  rsz_1img_1683.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  142.8 KB
1979 Catalina 30 #1497
An old Airline Pilot proverb: "If we don't help each other nobody else will."

Last edited by Launchpad McQ; 11-03-2018 at 01:04 AM. Reason: YouTube embed epic fail