Instead of rebuilding my original A4, I bought a spare one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Can we assume this block passed a pressure test? If not, put it back together and do one ASAP.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• southcoasting
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
      Can we assume this block passed a pressure test? If not, put it back together and do one ASAP.
      I did not...I am pretty far in in the teardown as I just got the tranny taken apart...

Can't the machine shop determine the same thing on their inspection though? Why would I need to do a pressure test unless they can't?
      1971 Tartan 34C Sloop "NOVA LUNA", Rebuilt (2019) Fresh Water Cooled A4 (Bought boat in 2014)
      1968 Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada", rebuilt Old Lyme freshwater A4 (Sold boat in 2014)

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by southcoasting View Post
        I did not...I am pretty far in in the teardown as I just got the tranny taken apart...

Can't the machine shop determine the same thing on their inspection though? Why would I need to do a pressure test unless they can't?
        Only thing you need for the test is for the head to be on. The machine shop can visually check for cracks and holes, but it isn't exactly the same thing.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• southcoasting
          • Nov 2011

Just to update everyone, I had dropped off bottom end block for rest of teardown and inspection/measuring. Long story short, my main problem with the compression on one piston was the valve. Also, measurement of piston walls was distorted, most likely due to install of pistons in not the proper orientation. Crankshaft was also a bit screwed so it will need overhaul.

In all, they will be completely rebuilding engine with new bearings, +20 pistons, new rings, new valve springs, crank will be ground down and +.10 or .20 on those as well, they will put the engine back together, hot tanking and paint removal, painting, etc for about $1300 in labor. Parts will be around $1200 as well. In all, not what I expected but a lesson learned...just because an engine looks good on exterior and it had been rebuilt does not mean it was rebuilt correctly.

This rebuilt engine was previously done by a shop/yard who clearly did not know what they were doing and it caused more harm than good. Wish I would have just done this to my original engine and not bought this replacement but oh well...
          1971 Tartan 34C Sloop "NOVA LUNA", Rebuilt (2019) Fresh Water Cooled A4 (Bought boat in 2014)
          1968 Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada", rebuilt Old Lyme freshwater A4 (Sold boat in 2014)

Comment

Working...
          X