View Single Post
  #3   IP: 100.18.23.16
Old 10-02-2018, 06:46 PM

This was a carb that I sent out last year for a rebuild. It was a disaster of an experience, but that is a different story. The carb took over a year to come back, so has only been in the boat for 3 or 4 months. I haven't disassembled it yet, but when I drained the bowl and throat, there was a bunch of black crud in the gas I collected. The black paint this guy used to paint the carb was dissolving, so I assume that is what the crud was.

While the carb was off, I pumped the fuel pump several times and collected a couple of cups of gas. There was nothing visible in it, but that doesn't mean it isn't goopy or varnished. When I picked up the boat last year, it had been sitting on a mooring ball for 3 years (no engine in it) and the fuel tank was bone dry without any sign of rust or dirt (it is a monel tank). I replaced the sender before adding any gas, so it should have stayed pretty clean. I think the bulk of the problem is the rebuilder of the carb and the piss poor job he did. The previous carb (my spare) I rebuilt and it did great, until I had a couple of sticking intake valves that allowed this tar looking stuff to come back through the manifold and into the carb.

The gas is all fresh, but I'm not convinced that there isn't something getting into it from the lines or the water seperator. I suspect everything was dry when I got it because of evaporation, not because of cleanliness.