View Single Post
  #1   IP: 108.172.150.97
Old 08-04-2018, 07:07 PM

all thumbs = gas mess

On our last "sail trip" (21 hours motoring, one hour sailing in 10 days), the A4 was unusually smelly. Not exhaust or gas smell, but kind of eye-stinging...sort of like a wood finishing product. Turned the boat upside down looking for some spilled product. Wondered if she could be running too rich, but fuel consumption was well under 1 gph at 1500 RPM. Choke good. Starts and runs great. Plugs a bit on the sooty side, but not extreme.

Our next trip is in a few weeks, so decided to install the Indigo PCV kit I had on our previous A4. (current A4 is a Moyer rebuild from 2015). Doing this to eliminate blow-by as a possible cause of the odor....?

As usual, taking the carb off was easy, but no matter how prepared I think I am, removing the fuel line ends up in a couple tablespoons of gas spilled. I have vowed to find a better way. Wondered if anyone runs the carb dry first, which led me to thinking about a second fuel shutoff valve just upstream of the carb. Otherwise, I will be running the engine quite a while to burn all the fuel in the Racor and polishing filters.

Any tips appreciated!