View Single Post
  #4   IP: 71.208.62.184
Old 12-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Afourian MVP

I agree with Jack.

I used grease on the joints for my T34 exhaust. I also used 45s and not 90s. That would make for 4 45s. I only needed to have one piece cut and threaded. There are enough joints that alignment was not an issue for me.

The one piece that I had cut and threaded was galvanized and all others were black. Maybe I should have gone SS. Brass is even more money. I sanded the pipe and pained with high heat paint. Will it work, who knows.

Plenty of insulation is important. I wrapped 100 feet of 1/4 copper tube around the whole thing along with 2 layers of fiberglass insulation.

Since this is iron pipe you can get it pretty tight without fear of breakage. I used grease on the joints but someone else may have a recommendation for other thread sealer. I have replaced the exhaust twice, 10 years apart. No leaks using this method.

One thing I have not addressed is that the exhaust is mounted rigid. Since the engine is too I have not worried about it. But if I was more ambitious, I would put some type of flex pipe/coupling in the system. The engine does need to move just a bit for shaft-engine alignment.
The Following User Says Thank You to romantic comedy For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (10-21-2020)