View Single Post
  #15   IP: 64.62.192.42
Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 PM

The boat was designed with a forward crash bulkhead under the vee-berth, but I think the spade rudder ought to be contained within one as well.

There is no place at all on the starboard side where the hull has transverse support below the waterline. Well,except at the vee-berth. Although the port side has three bulkheads tabbed to the hull, the starboard has only the settee acting as three long stringers at the waterline, close to the keel, and the bookshelf. You can stick your head down there (or more likely, your phone camera) and it's wide open from transom to the front. And there is currently no way to even reach the rudder post because it's hidden under the liner and beneath the fuel tank. If it took a high-five from a whale or something, the boat would sink. On the other hand, I suppose you could argue that the port side is short on stringers, aft.

It's weird. Especially since just a few years later, Ericson started bragging about their "tri-axial force grid." (Just don't look closely at any of our older boats...) No matter where you put a jack pad, the hull is going to oil-can on starboard. So I use eleven of them. I guess I'm sort of proposing to retrofit a "force grid" into there.