View Single Post
  #1   IP: 67.238.207.46
Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 PM

Possible Overheating Problem?

Hi! I recently purchased a 1967 Cal 34 sailboat with an atomic 4 gasoline engine. I am new to this particular motor and noticed when I bought it the previous owner was using vice grips to adjust water flow from the water pump to the thermostat. I noticed when I remove them no water comes out of the exhaust but when I clamp them down water comes out pretty consistently. I have been having some problems with the motor overheating (or so I think). The motor starts up fine when cold but after running for about 5-10 minutes the temperature gauge will go to 240 degrees and the motor will shut off instantly. It’s not a gradual shut off and it doesn’t make any noises before it happens it just cuts off almost like its a electronic safety switch that prevents the motor from overheating. After cooling for about 15-20 minutes it starts up again no problem and the cycle repeats itself. I have checked all of my inlet and exhaust hoses for buildup and they are all clear. I also removed the thermostat and it was clean inside. Something makes me think that the motor might not be overheating at all because I measured the temperature of the engine block with an IR thermometer and it never got above 160 degrees. I suspect the temperature gauge may be faulty. Would a bad thermostat cause this problem? I know Moyer Marine sells an improved thermostat for the atomic 4 motor. Thanks!