View Single Post
  #14   IP: 137.103.82.194
Old 06-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM555 View Post
All I’m telling you is that I have an A4. It doesn’t start. We have spent a fair amount of money on two professional mechanics and gave them each a simple goal. “Get that engine running reliably”. Both have failed completely. In the first case the engine ran for 5 hours then failed. The second, the engine doesn’t run at all. I don’t know where to go next with this.
The head got rebuilt over the winter - mechanic B pulled the heads and said he found a stuck valve. We had that fixed and the valves lapped. Hope that helps. What is starting ether
Basic question - how much money do you have? If you get a competent shop to correctly install and maintain a new diesel for you, you will have a nice reliable engine. You will be out around $10,000 to $20,000 for this.
It is possible for any engine - A4 included - to be past the point of no return. Moyer will sell you a rebuild for 4 to 6 thousand, depending on if you want as new or used block.
I am really not trying to sound nasty - I know the internet can be full of trolls - but any kind of boat much bigger than a skiff or a Laser requires a lot of work to keep running. Some people spend their time and some spend their money. If you don't have the $$$ and don't have the desire to fix the boat yourself, it may be this kind of boating and you are not a good fit.
Lord knows I have had this conversation more than once:
Me: Going down to fix the boat hon.
Wife: I thought you fixed it last week?
Me: (Puzzled expression) That was last week. You never run out of things to fix!

There is a reason some people buy boats like J-80s with no systems and 2 hp outboards you can carry to the shop with one hand

Last edited by joe_db; 06-03-2018 at 07:17 AM.