View Single Post
  #6   IP: 24.224.194.51
Old 07-12-2018, 05:42 AM
Afourian MVP

Hi Joe. My outboard 4 hp single cyl Suzuki wouldn't start. I'd left it on the dinghy at the dock the year before last and hadn't used it for over a month. When I went to use it the engine wouldn't start. Tried cleaning carb etc and then checked compression...it was 60 psi. Ended up taking it home and never got at it until this spring. It's a 2 stroke.

This spring: Ordered a reed valve for it and broke the engine down. Found that the reed valve was fine, however the rings were stuck and I had a heck of a time freeing them. Finally, after an hour or so messing with it carefully...and with no luck, I poured some acetone on the piston right out of the can. After a few minutes they loosened up and I was able to remove the rings and clean them. It was like they were super glued in there, no rust, no evidence of water incursion etc...just like the lubrication turned to glue. The rings, piston and piston bore were all in great shape. Put it all back together and it worked.

I'd never seen that happen to an engine that was laying up before. I know the sun was beating on it all day long during that summer but boy, that was some serious "glueing" effect going on there. Last weekend I used the zodiac and engine (worked perfect) and as soon as I got home I took it all home again and put it in the garage...out of the sun.

I am wondering if something has changed in the oil composition with these 2 strokes or if this is a known thing. I use only high test gas as well, no ethanol.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 07-12-2018 at 05:48 AM.