View Single Post
  #21   IP: 69.250.111.245
Old 05-23-2020, 10:46 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
We too have been locked down due to COVID-19, which has also made me feel just a little less interested in many activities other than working from home, but I'm feeling it's time to get the boat in the water!

This is our second year with the A4 and so I'm not sure exactly what to expect after winter layup. We winterized with anti-freeze and now I need to figure out a way to get that stuff out of this RWC engine. The PO said he used two buckets- one with anti-freeze for inlet and outlet, the other with water; when the thermostat opened he switched the inlet over from the anti-freeze bucket to the water bucket until the outlet ran clear. Seems reasonable to me.

I had also fogged the engine, topped off the fuel tank and am hoping it will turn over just like it did when the season ended. I remember my first sailboat with an outboard. I was convinced it couldn't possibly start after sitting for six months, but it fired right up. Hoping this old A4 behaves the same, since I'm new to troubleshooting these motors.
Indy, WELCOME! If you have any trouble firing up the engine (crank for more than 5-10 seconds), make sure to close the raw water intake, and then re-open it when the engine is running. The crank no start, still pumps water into the muffler, and can back up the "hot stack" into the cylinders..the engine needs to run to 'batch' the water out the exhaust.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sastanley For This Useful Post:
Administrator (05-23-2020), Indy (05-29-2020), Peter (05-24-2020)