View Single Post
  #14   IP: 154.20.7.101
Old 05-21-2020, 01:31 AM

Hi,

The motor started right up today.

I ran it in the slip for a while in N and screwed around with the carb. I leaned it out until i found the best RPM after i let it warm up a bit. Stopped it and started it a few more times then ran it up in the slip in gear.

It ran well, considering the minor surgery it just went through.

I put a new Pertronix EI module in and this one has a small level on the side which changes the timing to the point where I can get it to stall. What is this for?

It seems to idle too high as well now that I have run it up and really warmed it up. I tried leaning it out to reduce RPM at idle but that was inconsistent. Is there any other way to reduce RPM's at idle? If my new tach is reading correctly it is idling in N at 1100 RPM. The idle screw it backed right off. WOT in the slip in F tops out at 1900RPM. The motor accelerates very smoothly and quickly in N and sounds like its normal well running self all around.

I will take it out on Friday and burn some fuel through it, adjust the timing at cruising speed and see how it goes.

New upgrades included:

- Electric fuel pump set to 3 psi.
- Fuel lines and fittings.
- Fuel filter/water separator.
- Polishing fuel filter
- Carb teardown and clean.
- Valve cover gasket.
- Cleaned and tested Thermostat.
- Cleaned out FWC system.
- New coolant hoses.
- Water jacket cover and gasket.
- Cap, Rotor, Coil, EI module.
- Removed, cleaned up, manifold. New gasket,
- Exhaust gasket.
- Instrument panel and gauge.
- Rebuilt starter.

Thanks for all the great advise!

Coming up next is a rewire, New panel, FWC acid flush, and rebuild the mech fuel pump.

Is replacing the head gasket as a preventative maintenance task worth doing? Or is it more common to wait until they go and then replace? The motor access on the Newport is amazing and it would be easy to do.

CC