View Single Post
  #2   IP: 76.7.142.140
Old 03-03-2020, 10:27 AM
Afourian MVP

The MC was only asleep for about 6 weeks. I winterized just after Xmas. My January was booked up and I was not sure when I would return. Being FW cooled it is just a matter of pulling about 1/2 gallon of pink/RV antifreeze thru the RW side and pumping the very simple domestic fresh water system dry.
I returned and started the A-4 on February 8th. She fired right up, ran fine, revved up and was smooth in gear at the dock. On the 9th I planed to head out sailing for a few days but when I fired her up she was hard to start, would not throttle up, would bog down and die if put in gear. Happened in but forward and reverse. Sounded like a fuel delivery system issue and I suspected the main jet. I have a early, 1965, A-4 and it has the adjustable main jet. This jet/needle valve assembly can get a bit of debris in it and cause issues. Been there done that. I was reaching to check the adjustment and just touched the T to make sure it was still snug. It was and the A-4 began to run smoother so I just let it idle. Things improved and after a few minutes she was back to her normal well running self. What ever it was must of cleared itself.
I ran her for a couple of hours at 1800 RPM, I have the 2 to 1 reduction gear, on the first day of the trip and she was smooth as could be then and for the remainder of the trip.
Heading down again in the next week or so and hoping for a smooth restart.

Dan
S/V Marian Claire

Last edited by Marian Claire; 03-03-2020 at 10:42 AM.