View Single Post
  #32   IP: 161.213.49.150
Old 01-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyro View Post
I'm replacing my water pump impeller after an unknown number of hours on the new (to this boat) used engine. I'm curious if the blades in the attached photo are bent in the correct direction? This is my old impeller that I haven't removed yet.
Thanks!
Dean
Did the pump pump water before you took the face plate off? If so the blades are oriented correctly.
The easy way is to install the new impeller and bump the starter then the blades will orient correctly because the direction that the blades orient is fixed by the direction of engine rotation. (assuming the input and output hoses are not switched!)
If you want to delve into it a little deeper there should be a larger space between the blades when the impeller passes the input opening and a smaller space between the blades pass the output opening thus forcing the water or coolant out of the pump.
You can take it from here. In your next post tell us if the blades are oriented correctly or not in the picture.

TRUE GRIT

Edit: To start a new thread scroll down the on forum home page to "discussion topics". Click on the topic you want. The new thread button will be in the upper left. You'll get more responses if you start a new thread.

Edit #2: If the pump doesn't pump try priming it by pouring down the input hose while holding it vertically into the pump.

Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 01-29-2016 at 05:42 PM.