View Single Post
  #31   IP: 134.39.101.132
Old 10-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Shawn is correct. On a C30, once lifted using the boom you must have a way to slide the engine toward the rear of the boom to clear the house. I did it using a vang set up. One block and tackle arrnagement to lift the motor, the other to pull it back. the next time I did it, I used the following technique.

The simlest way I found was to strip as much of the heavy stuff off the engine, build a cradle for it out of 2x4's and such and two or three guys carry it out. I used 4X4beam across the top of companion way as far forward as I could and with a simple cable come-a-long, lifted the engine about two feet high. Then put the cradle under it, lag screws through the 4 mount holes into the 2x4 cradle and caried it our as if on a stretcher. The cradle looked like a ladder with and engine sitting in the middle of it. The whole arrangement was about 5' long. Sort of like having wheel barrow handles on each end. Using a couple of carpet scraps as padding, on the companion way step and one or two more on the cockpit seat and coming, two buff guys or three normal guys can carry it right out. This was with the boat in the water.

That said, if the boat is ont he hard, I would do my best to use a crane arrangement.