View Single Post
  #1   IP: 68.33.43.122
Old 08-18-2019, 07:16 PM

Question In situ painting? Using POR-15?

I am afraid I will have to do something about corrosion on the outside of my A4, see the attached images. I am afraid if I don't apply a coat of paint it will rust through at some point. I am impressed by what people on this list do with their A-4 antiques but at this point I am not going for beauty, just for utilitarian protection, i.e. rust prevention (or at least limit its progression). Here are my thoughts, please let me know if it makes sense.

First, I do not intend to remove the motor, I am planning to paint it in place. I realize this limits what I can do but I hope that I can get to the critical places to protect them from rust.

Then I have to decide what paint (system) to use. I know Moyers sells a spray paint which would look original but I given that the machine will be in place, I think that protecting everything from overspray will be much more work than brushing.

So I will have to select an alternative paint. I like the original look (which the motor has right now, at least on the small parts of it where there is still some paint left) and I found a brushable paint by Rustoleum which comes pretty close (can't find the link right now). But in the past I have made very good experiences with POR-15 https://www.por15.com (the regular paint, not the high-temperature version; I don't think the outside of an A4 ever gets hot enough for the latter to cure). It seems made for this application since it works best on rusty surfaces. They have a very limited color palette and nothing is close to the original Universal paint but, again, I am going for function not cosmetics. So it would most likely be a glossy black. I expect that the POR15 will not adhere to the few areas where there is still paint left so it will have a splotchy look but I am fine with that as long as the rust is kept in check.

So my plan at this point is as follows:

1) Remove alternator and top of distributor with all ignition cables, wrap the bottom of the distributor in a plastic bag for protection.

2) Wire-brush and vacuum all areas I can get to, using manual brushes of different sizes.

3) Protect surfaces around and under the motor with plastic drop cloths. Wrap the carburator.

4) Apply the POR-15 cleaning solution (Marine Clean) with a brush

5) Wash it off with water, either a fine spray (spray bottle) or brush

6) Put a thin layer of grease around each spark plug where it meets the threads as a lift agent, to avoid that POR-15 'welds' the plugs to the block

7) Apply 2 or 3 layers of POR-15

8) Crack a cold one!

One question I have whether I should remove the manifold which is by far the rustiest part. I am tending not to do it, afraid to open a can of worms. Does that make sense?

All opinions and suggestions welcome!
Attached Images