#26   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadnsky View Post
Mo-
I'm mostly a solo sailor too...

In the summer months where I sail, I've learned to keep a wary eye out for similar "sneaky" winds.
The summer thunderstorms that build in the desert around here can easily push a wind front with gusts in the 50's and even 60's sometimes.
The advantage here is that you can "see" the wind coming much farther out.
Typically, the first thing to spot is the building thunderclouds.
Once I see that, depending how far out I am, that's when I make a decision to either head in or start prepping for the inevitable squall.

I'm also always watching in every direction for the telling dust clouds that warn of something strong coming.

Before I learned to spot these tell tails, I got knocked down a few times. Even ripped an old sail.
Let me tell you... THAT gets your attention!
I now can give myself a good 4-5 minutes to get prep'd for a coming blow.
My headsail isn't a roller, but I have it rigged to get it down and lashed quickly when I need to.
It still gets the blood pumping when I see that dark boiling water coming my way like a freight train.

It's during those times when I have to ride one out, that I really depend on my little A4 to make the difference.
Riding out a blow here with just sails can be very challenging because I'm surrounded by land.
Granted, it's usually miles away, but running along at 6-8 knots those miles disappear quickly and pretty soon you're looking at coming about.

As Neil advises, checking the forecast can sometimes keep me in the slip to do a chore or project.
But our weather forecasts in the summer are almost always the same, so if I wanna go out I have to always keep a wary watch.
I hear ya Jerry,
In 2009 I was caught offshore a ways and the wind came up gusting up to 45kts. Rode those conditions 4 hours and the boat was fine...I was tired but the boat was fine. I saw that coming and was able to get the main down, survival suit on, harness etc.

Yesterday's little incident was different. Winds were as forcasted...20 with gusts to 30 or so. Vis was 2 miles at the best with drizzle and rain but we had that period around 3pm where it really gusted up.

When that squall hit the boat didn't go over gently...it was slam. Winches were in the water, cockpit curtains underwater, water coming around the edge of the dodger (now flat in the water). Lazarette hatch flung open and water swuirlling by and in. Funny how it seemed in slow motion, I hooked my foot on the hatch and as it was heavy with water, raised my knee and closed it....stood straight up on the side there while still over turning the helm to port to keep her from crossing the wind...and then the wind let up, boat came up and sailed on.

I figure she took 10 gallons of water through the lazarette...half of it as she started righting herself....as she came up part way that whole seat on the low side was level across with a triangle of water sitting in it...it all drained into the lazarette.

I agree, it's nice to see them coming but I don't think I'll allow the incident to hold me back from taking advantage of a good sail. Learning experience and that's about the size of it. If I had even an unlocked lock through the lazarette latch I it would have been a minor technical difficulty...as it stood, I had a hugh hole in the boat for a few seconds that could be catastrophic if not closed promptly... the main reason I posted.

Lets face it guys...the ocean, she be nice ... BUT she will try and hand you your own ass if you give her a chance.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.