View Single Post
  #252   IP: 74.110.198.83
Old 07-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Afourian MVP

So I fired up the engine again today, just because I could and also because I just wanted to hear it again.

Also, I figured I should do one last re-torque of the head bolts just to confirm. The Moyer Manual says to do it at least three times, and I had done it twice last time. This time, only two nuts needed maybe 1/4 turn before the torque wrench clicked. All the others clicked immediately without turning, so I'm going to declare the head good and torqued.

The other thing that I just remembered was that the manual says to re-check the valve tappet clearances after running for a while. So I guess maybe I should do that before dropping the engine back in the boat. It will be way, way easier to check the valve clearances with the engine on the stand in my shop, rather than in the engine box on the boat!

Yesterday, I applied the first coat of Bilgekote to the bilge and today I started fabbing a new battery box for the two house batteries. I also went back to working on the new engine bulkhead that I made a couple months ago. It's been sitting in the back of my shop gathering dust, while I was working on the engine. I coated all the pieces of the new bulkhead with clear penetrating epoxy sealer; next I'll paint them all, then assemble the whole thing. It's going to look so much better than the crappy old one that was in there.

I also roughed out a new table top for the dinette table. The old one is ugly - particleboard covered with brown, fake woodgrain plastic laminate, with an aluminum edging. It just screams 1968.

Yesterday I tore apart an old desk I had bought a few years ago - it was made entirely of solid wood - I think it's either "Danish" teak, or it might be angelique, but whatever it is, it's a very high-quality hardwood and planes beautifully. It's going to make a beautiful table top. And I'm going to use some of the other bits and pieces for various other small projects around the boat.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes