A discussion with the Guru himself... Don Moyer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orion C&C 33
    • Jun 2018

Hey Marty...!!!

Yes, I noticed you were on Bowen Island... we tried to book into Steamworks to do an overnighter but unfortunately they're all booked solid for the month.

Too bad it would be nice to meet a fellow Afourian... over a beer or two!!

Stay in touch!! You'll never know when I be setting course your way.

Cheers and happy sailing!

Mel

Comment

• tenders
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

> I've never done a slight twist to the rotor Left or right and I'm not quite sure of the lock nut, he was talking about.
      > I just want to take and resolve one issue at a time and not screw things up before I get it all done. If there is none, then it was the timing being slightly off.

You'll find this to be very straightforward once you see the simple moving parts. It's so easy and fundamental to the proper operation of the engine that I would suggest doing this timing tuning first if it could be contributing to the smoke problem.

> So, I am contemplating fidgeting with the carburetor idle to bring it down a bit but it is an obscenely narrow space to work in.

Yeah baby. That's why Don has this:

Actually I find even the increased diameter to be a bit small to twist by hand so I'm considering epoxying a disc of G10 to the shaft, below where the screwdriver thread bottoms out, and cutting some gnurls into the G10 with a Dremel for better grip.

Comment

• Administrator
        MMI Webmaster
        • Oct 2004

Ted (tenders) won't mention this, but I will. He was the inventor of this handy little add-on. I can't even guess how many of these we have sold.

Bill

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Orion C&C 33 View Post
          The ignition timing is next... Don Moyer explained it to me and I got the basic jest of it all. I've never done a slight twist to the rotor Left or right and I'm not quite sure of the lock nut, he was talking about.
          Mel-
          See the attached pic.
          The arrow shows the hold-down bracket on my distro.

There is also an instructional video here that is worth every penny of the $12 fee...
          Attached Files
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Orion C&C 33
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
            Mel-
            See the attached pic.
            The arrow shows the hold-down bracket on my distro.

There is also an instructional video here that is worth every penny of the $12 fee...

A big thank you Jerry!!! Much appreciated!

Cheers!!

Comment

• Orion C&C 33
              • Jun 2018

I just want to post a update on the change out of the gearbox cover... I noticed on one of my searches on the web that there are 3 types of gearbox covers.

Two of which have no tube and one with tube and cap for the Atomic $... It was mentioned on a post from a fellow Afourian that I was trapping the gases and that I have not dealt with the problem.

Well I'm happy to say along with my better half.... we are totally enjoying the adventures on the water without all that smoky smell and at times thick smoke permeating the cabin.

The lingering smell would give me a headache when we turned in for the night.

After a day out on the water both under sail and power... the cabin environment is a lot less toxic with the change out of the gearbox plate.

I'm glad I did... no regrets and the engine is running fine.

Thank you for all your input all!!

Cheers and happy sailing!

Comment

• Tommy jones
                Frequent Contributor
                • Jul 2018

I just want to thank Don and Ken who both helped me diagnoise some problems with my A4. I had what i thought was carp problems so i called to order a bunch of parts to rebuild it. Well the first call Ken answered and convinced me to dig around a little more first. We talked for halfd an hour while i crawled around in the boat checking the fuel pump and carb. I ended up getting her started without any additional parts (i had already given the ignition system an upgrade).
                Well it ran for about 40 minutes very sweetly and then died. I was convinced that i had a bad carb again so i called to order a rebuild kit. Well Don answered this time and after 20 minute or so he remotely diagnoised my issue as being out of gas. I wasn't convinced, but it sounded good to me so i checked. Despite having 2-3 gallons in the tank the pickup seemed to be just above the fuel. I filled her up and she has been running well ever since.

Between Don and Ken they probably saved me $3-400 in parts and lots of time and agrivation. Plus they only sold me the parts i actually needed.

Thanks for the EXCELLENT customer service. All businesses should be like this.

Comment

Working...
                X