View Single Post
  #6   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 12-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
OK Lord, it's clear you have given this a lot of thought although I'm a little confused on whether or not you plan to run a 48V 200A generator/alternator off of the A-4 or install a diesel genset instead. I read intentions for both. My thoughts anyway are:
  1. The electric drive alone does not save much, if any, space. If space saving is the goal I think you'll be disappointed.
  2. Space again, Romantic Comedy's comments about dive compressor, air conditioning, etc. are noted.
  3. If intending to use the A4 to power a generator/alternator, the Hanley drive requires an early model head and cooling system.
  4. Converting to electric drive will cost somewhere around $6K. If fitting a diesel genset, figure another $10K by the time you're done. Big money in my opinion for an electric range and air conditioning.
  5. If driving a gen/alt with the A4 or a diesel, a 200A 48V genny is about the same size as an A4, maybe slightly smaller so I'm not seeing the space savings.
  6. I think driving a big gen/alt off of the output end of an engine, any engine, is preferred to a belt drive off of the flywheel if for no other reason than avoiding side loads on the crank.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others