Thread: Winter rebuild
View Single Post
  #6   IP: 71.7.227.12
Old 12-08-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romantic comedy View Post
That is a highly recommended way. I have done it that way a few times.

BTW, with the way it is rigged, did you ride the engine all the way down?
Indeed, with how it is rigged in the photo I was able to ride the motor all they way down on the main sheet. How ever while slewing and easing the main halyard I choked the purchase with a hitch and toggle (not shown}.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat 64 View Post
I've heard sometimes those restrictor plates fall out. Darn.

I pulled my engine that way and I have one comment: When reinstalling the engine, I'd put another line(like a jib halyard) from the masthead to the point where the mainsheet attaches on the boom. I like backup.
Also, wrap the line down around the top block somehow so the attachment fitting is not stressed. follow the path of tension and consider the stresses all along the way.

nice winter project. Keep calm and carry on,

Russ
Thank you Lat 64.

Doubling up halyards is an excellent precaution, in my case the jib halyard which is my only other rigged halyard was terribly chafed and needs immidiate replacement. After carefull consideration of the normal working loads , and how robust the existing bail attaching the mainsheet to the boom is I did not feel it necessary to reinforce any part of the boom. However to Do it again I would use a Web sling to tie a prucic just forward of the main bail, choking the boom creating a new strong point to attach the main halyard.

Cheers.

Last edited by Koerk; 12-08-2018 at 06:23 AM.