View Single Post
  #85   IP: 108.45.44.91
Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Fuel and spark delivered to the cylinders and compression. A properly functioning choke and correctly adjusted timing.
>>>Engine ran fine 5 short days previously. Typically will not start after sitting idle for more than one/two days.
This is typical behavior for sticking valves.

Quote:
Fuel: Do the cylinders smell of unburned fuel after a period of no start cranking?
>>>How to check? I have to rely on a mechanic for that.
To check, remove a spark-plug wire, remove the spark-plug using a deep-well socket wrench, and smell the end of the spark-plug.

Quote:
Is fuel collecting in the throat of the carburetor after a period of no start cranking? Is the fuel clean (no water in it)?
>>>How to check? I have to rely on a mechanic for that.
This one's easy. There will be a STRONG small of gas in the engine compartment, and gas will be dripping out of the bottom of the carb, from the joint between the carb and the flame arrestor.

Quote:
Spark: Hold a screw driver in a spark plug boot and see if you can jump an arc to a spark plug while cranking. Are the wires on the spark plugs in the correct firing order?
>>>Yes. I know that stuff is correct, because the engine ran fine 5 days ago.
But we're looking for the cause of an intermittant failure. What it did 5 days ago isn't nearly as important as what it's doing now. We need to check it when the engine wont start.

Quote:
Compression: Do a compression test.
>>>I have to rely on a mechanic for that.
To test, disconnect all spark plugs (keep track of which wire goes where), remove all the spark plugs, and for each cylinder one at a time screw-in a compression gauge in place of a spark-plug, crank the engine with the starter for a couple of seconds, and read the value off of the gauge.

Quote:
Choke: Is the choke closing all the way?
>>>Yes.
Its not enough to just check the choke knob, you have to remove the flame arrestor from the carb and look into it to see if the choke plate is actually closing.

Quote:
Timing:Is the rotor pointing to number 1 wire position on the distributor when #1 is at TDC
compression.
>>>I have to rely on a mechanic for that. Just out of curiosity, how in God's name can you see into the engine to determine where anything "is" at any given point in the combustion cycle?
You remove the distributor cap (the thing with all the spark-plug wires coming off of it) and check which direction the rotor indide the distributor is pointing. As for the engine, there is a timing mark (usually a V shaped notch) on the flywheel cover. A small pin thru the end of the shaft serves as a pointer. Using the starter, or a hand crank, uou rotate the engine until the pin lines up with the notch.

I know you're not mechanically inclined, but as you can see, these procedures are pretty simple. And even if you don't do them, this info can be passed on to whoever does work on the engine.

Last edited by edwardc; 09-12-2018 at 09:25 AM.