View Single Post
  #298   IP: 172.58.139.46
Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 AM

>>I'll repeat an indisputable fact that has been mentioned in this and other threads on the subject of electronic ignition. Since recommending the EI voltage/current/resistance balance aka the Rule of 2011, coil cook-offs with EI, once commonplace, disappeared overnight for those who followed the advisement faithfully. <<

You should re-read my messages.

The reason for the cooked/overheated coils with the Pertronix 1146A (fixed dwell), is due to the internal resistor in the coils. If you have a 3-4 ohm resistor in the coil, the heat generated by that resistor heats up the coil and cooks it. Remove the resistor from the coil and the source of the heat is removed from the coil. (Which many have done) . A 3-4 ohm coil is a bad match for a Pertronix 1146A. Use a low ohms coil such as the 1.4 ohm coil I mentioned and use an external / variable resistance "ballast resistor". The ballast resistor heats up and that heat is external to the coil - so the coil doesn't get hot and "cook".
Also, you can't use ohms law to establish coil current in a pulsed DC RL network. The math doesn't work when your engine is running.
And yes, I'm an electrical engineer.