View Single Post
  #24   IP: 151.200.20.244
Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Afourian MVP

Update

Went over to the boat today! - I had to meet the family after my daughter finished high school sailing practice so I was limited in time, but I had a list!

Planning to haul the boat next week (already scheduled) - so I made a pre-haul checklist:

Ran the engine for a while in gear and got her warmed up. thermostat varies from 140 - 190F during cycles.

Put on a new tach - Tied to the slip I can get about 1,900 RPM...not too bad I think. Idle at about 800. From listening and comparing to the last excursion away from the slip cruising RPM seems to be about 16-1700 RPM...again..this was at the dock, so we'll see what we can do when the boat is not bound up in the slip.

Checked the timing - Set motor to about 1,500 RPM and fiddled with the dizzy..no real revelation..just adjusted it for max RPM at that throttle setting.

Oil pressure has been low...the P.O. never bothered to adjust since it was 'not zero'...cleaned up the adjustment bolt, got it loose and made a 1/2 turn adjustment...got it to about 20 PSI at 1,500 RPM...sometimes it was less then 10 PSI...so that is good for me, for now..at least the adjustment made a positive impact.

Oil - Pumped out 26(ish) oz. of oil from the pan, and added 26(ish) oz. of MMO. Ran the motor for 1 hour. I plan to do a proper/complete oil change in the travel lift slip just before the boat is hauled next week. I figured 2 total hours with some MMO in the crankcase was OK. 26-ish oz. came from guessing on 1 quart, and adding MMO until the dipstick was back to full...not quite 1 quart.

Did an MMO treatment to the upper cyls. after motor ran... figure might as well get another one in before hauling.

Plan after hauling..take the carb home and clean..order a new "Moyer bowl" for the mech fuel pump (I think this one is orig from 1977!) and add new fuel lines and filters...and also clean up the motor a little bit..she currently runs a lot better than she looks!

-Shawn

Last edited by sastanley; 10-24-2008 at 11:23 AM.