View Single Post
  #47   IP: 68.33.43.122
Old 10-11-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnward View Post
The new Moyer 502 flange pump you ordered has no snap ring at the impeller, no grease cup, and no gasket. Only a tiny O-ring. It's better to have the rebuild kit on hand in case you develop a bad leak, then you can fix it on the spot instead of waiting several days for the kit to arrive. The kit does not include a new pump housing or backplate. It does include new O-ring, impeller, bearings, seals, shaft, grease, and directions. https://moyermarine.com/product/repa...p-csob_00_461/
If your experience is like mine, you have four years before you will need to rebuild the pump. But I run the A4 100 hours a year or more. Replace the impeller every two years, more if you use the engine a lot. The snap ring on the old pump was there to keep the impeller from wearing out and forcing water past the seals.
Ah, that sounds much better. Let's see, if you have >400 hours time between failures, that is for me, ehm, about a lifetime Most years I run the A-4 maybe 10 or 15 hours.

Snap ring: So it seems the wisdom I gleaned from the internet ('snap ring is only used for transport') was wrong! It may not be by chance that the pump worked fine for at least 18 years (plus the time it was in there before I bought the boat), and then failed after it ran for a few hours without the snap ring. Exactly in the way you describe it: forcing water past the seals.

I guess I learned an expensive lesson