View Single Post
  #43   IP: 68.33.43.122
Old 10-10-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnward View Post
When you buy the new Moyer pump, get the rebuild kit too. It has directions for replacing shaft, seals, and bearings. Not too hard to do with the right tools. You will still have to monitor the pump for leaking, and fix it when it does. The seals on my Moyer flange pump have failed twice in ten years. The first time it overheated the engine, putting coolant into the bilge. The second time the engine ran hotter but ok, and coolant water got by the oil seals into the crankcase.
Yes, I understand that I need to keep an eye on the pump, as on everything else. But I do hope that I won't need the rebuilding kit for a good while, with a spanking brand-new pump! I can only hope that my experience will be better than yours. Holy Moly, on the THIRD pump in 10 years!! For the record, my current (now leaking) Oberdorfer pump came with the boat in 2001, it had been in there for an unknown amount of time.

FWIW, I placed the order for the new (MMI) pump today. I did order a spare impeller but no rebuilding kit.