View Single Post
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 09-16-2019, 10:15 PM
Afourian MVP

Tough to tell whether you have an engine issue or a heat exchanger issue.
First thing I'd do is remove the thermostat and leave it out until you get the overheating under control. See what happens without the thermostat. If you have a bypass valve, close it. If not, plug the bypass hose.
If still running hot, I think I'd convert back to raw water cooling temporarily. If this runs cool, then you have a heat exchanger issue. Remove and clean.
If still runs hot with raw water, then it's an engine issue and you'll have to find the blockage.
Try disconnecting pieces of the cooling system and blowing through the hoses. If you can't blow through the manifold, check the manifold outlet - classic place for stuff to hang up. Blow through the hose from the water pump to the block - piece of dead carp hung up in the inlet to the side plate? You get the idea.
Worst case I see is that you'll have to remove the head and chip the corrosion deposits out of the small passages adjacent to the valves. I think an acid flush would be a waste of time/effort.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Al Schober For This Useful Post:
Ando (03-10-2020), capnward (09-21-2019), ndutton (09-17-2019), Orion C&C 33 (09-17-2019)