X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CalebD
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Every engine is a little different but mostly they are the same.
    On my engine the carb looks similar but is an aluminum Zenith carb with an old style air intake/flame arrestor that is oriented in the vertical axis as opposed to facing up or horizontal like pallen58's. I've had fuel leak out of the flame arrestor AND the choke mechanism before.
    The float valve is frequently the culprit but not a problem lately since we rigidly stick to shutting the main fuel valve off when leaving the boat.
    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

pallen58..if that is you hiking your tail off in your avatar and you rigged it, you can likely do the carb. Moyer's instructions are so thorough I cannot imagine how painstaking it was to write them down, which makes life easy for people like us.

Other supplies to have handy...compressed air (compressor or the little computer cans) carb cleaner, Qtips..razor blade or your favorite pocket knife (for cleaning the gasket surfaces) & some other various wrenches, screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, & safety glasses!! (watch out when you squirt the carb cleaner) - A clean work area is important too..work on a nice clean surface (cardboard or a clean bench..my bench is a wreck, so I put something clean on top of it!)

I like to order my parts from Ken early in the week so they arrive before Friday, and then get to the task early on a Saturday morning at the workbench before I get distracted by butterflies, pretty girls and beer.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• pallen58
        • Oct 2009

Thank you all for the responses. That is me on the Butterfly. The dingy helps keep the sailing in perspective. I will be ordering the parts from Ken today.
        Thanks again
        Pat

Comment

• gmilburn
          • Apr 2009

E29 Carb Access

Hi Pallen,

I too own an E29 and have off and on carb problems. I even bought a rebuilt carb from MM, but then couldnt get the old one off to replace it. I drained the gas out of the main bowl, and unstuck a stuck float with a few screwdriver handle raps! I also put some Marvels Mystery Oil in my gas, and have not had a problem since. Marvels Mystery Oil cures many woes!

My question is how did you get the carb off? Was it a special socket? Or did you do what I contemplated and cut the fiberglass panel under the galley sink to get to it?

I dont have a problem now--but am sure I will need to address it down the road. Your advice and experience would be appreciated.
          -----------------
          "HydroPhilic" 1977 Ericson 29 Tall
          Beaver Lake, Heart of the Ozarks
          Rogers, Arkansas

Comment

• marthur
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2004

In case you find it helpful, here is a link to pictures of the carb rebuild I did a couple of years ago:

Carb Rebuild Pictures
            Mike

Comment

• pallen58
              • Oct 2009

Marthur: great pictures. I think you also had the water pump ones. I took my screw driver to a friend with a torch yesterday so now I have my 90 degree bend,
              Gmilburn: I can't imagine I have anymore room than you do. I first undid the copper fuel line. I then removed the throttle cable connection and choke connection from the carb. I then undid the scavenger tube. I got to the forward bolt pretty easy with a racheting closed wrench. The aft bolt was harder. I used an open ended box wrench and had to come up from under the throttle bracket to get it undone. At that point I found that the thottle cable was in a bracket that was still attached to the carb. There were two flat head screws holding that on. The only way I could get to them was to put some paper towels down and gently rotate the carb and undid them and the cable came out. I was then able to bring the carb up a little and out.
              What I will do to put it back in is I have some small screw drivers that are bent at 90 degrees that are less than an inch from the tip to the bend. I got those at Ace. To get the aft bolt in, since there isn't clearance for a socket with an extension, I will get an open ended ratcheting box wrench. That is a Craftman tool now sold at Ace and Sears.
              I am up in KC but do get down home to Fayetteville every couple of months so when you get ready let me know and I can make a trip.
              Pat

Comment

• pallen58
                • Oct 2009

Idle jet remove

I have the carb off and it is cleaned. Doing a close up inspection I see the top of the idle jet is chewed up. Guess the warning on page 4-4 of the manual wasn't heeded. I have a re-build kit on the way. How go I get that out? I don't see any way to do that. Can I drill it out? Thanks
                Par

Comment

• Golfdad75
                  • Sep 2014

Carb leaking

After reading this thread I was wondering, if my float is stuck, damaged etc and there is too much fuel in the carb, WILL THE CARB LEAK?

Comment

• tenders
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

Sure, the carb can leak if the float is stuck in the “sunk” position and/or if the needle valve isn’t sealing. You occasionally hear situations where people come to their boats after a few days’ absence and smell fuel. This can be why. But the actual amount of fuel leaked is going to be pretty small.

This (and other fuel leaks, ie pinholes in fuel tank) is what you are heading off when you smell for fumes and run the blower every time before starting the engine.

If this happens with a running engine, it’s likely to make the engine run rich, not leak. But if the engine stalls, the OPSS exists to turn off the fuel pump and prevent a big leak from occurring.

Comment

Working...
                    X