View Single Post
  #1   IP: 24.209.170.115
Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 AM

Leaking Carb..choke lever?!?!?

Hi All.

I am in need of advice.

Getting ready for a Sunday sail, I discovered to my horror, about 1 gallon of gasoline in my bilge.

I have a late model A-4 with Series 68 carburator.

I traced the fuel leak to somewhere in my carb. I have never taken off or maintained my carb since I purchased from PO two years ago.

I am on an Ericson-29 so my access to the carburator side of the engine ranges from extremely tight to nearly impossible to reach. (I will post some photos soon.)

I shut down my fuel valve at the fuel tank, soaked up what gas I could and shut off my electrical system.

After some 2 hours of observation and the use of mirrors, I came to the conclusion that the fuel leak seams to be coming from the Choke Lever. I thought it would be coming from the 1/8 pipe scavange tube connection or a gasket higher up, but no, it seems to be from the Choke Lever shaft/plate.

I am on the verge of removing my carburator all together, bring it home and address the leak issue (If I can).

Does anyone have experience with a leaky carburator in the Choke Lever area? Does this sound possible or right?

Thanks

Matt