View Single Post
  #7   IP: 199.87.176.16
Old 09-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Afourian MVP

I had a muffler like that about 18 years ago. Then one autumn I got the bright idea to winterize the engine by recirculating antifreeze from a bucket. To do this I place the hose from the through hull in a 5 gallon pail of antifreeze, and took off the exhaust injection hose from the exhaust fitting and ran the engine for a few minutes. I was pretty proud of myself until the next spring when I found that the fiberglass Catalina muffler was leaking. Upon inspection the muffler had a collapse inlet, and looked like yours, because of the non-cooled very hot exhaust running through the muffler inlet.

I replaced it with a cheapo Vetus that allowed me to get up and running with no other modifications. Didn't think my Vetus would last 18 years, but it has. Since the volume is less than other options, I am particularly cognizant of how long my engine takes to start.

If you are looking for exhaust blockages, sometimes it is caused by old collapsed exhaust hose. The hose can look fine from the outside, but the inner liner is collapsed. Have fun checking this out.